Thursday, September 9, 2010

Opening Reception of September Solo Show

Last Friday was opening night of my solo show at Mercury 20 Gallery. Here is a view of the my installation at night.



Opening night started out with people curiously exploring my 12 feet installation of " Truth Scope". I invited the public to get inside the sculpture and complete it by writing on the inside of the cage all the things they would like to let go of.



Here is a sample of some of the writing on the inside of the Truth Scope. At the end of the evening it was an emotional experience for me to read what others wrote. There is still space left to write, so, come on down to the gallery and step inside.


When you get inside and look up you can see what looks like a couple of orange glass birds that just escaped.



It was a pleasure for me to observe how people responded to the piece. I was delighted to find folks reading the antique book pages I used to make the skin of the scope.



This guy was all smiles when he emerged.



Since I am donating 20% of my sales to the "Not For Sale" campaign, one of their representatives came to the exhibition to do a presentation about human trafficking and how we can fight it. Mercy Dizon did a great job presenting to a large crowd of art lovers.


The children discovered my visual journals. I hope I inspired the next generation of sculptors.



People started lining up to get a turn in the scope!




Savannah Jo Lack added her magical violin music to our evening. Please check out her website: http://www.savannahjolack.com/index.php One person told me that being inside the scope and listening to her violin was the perfect blend for a peaceful meditation.



I had the treat of seeing so many friends come out to the show. The best part is getting all the hugs!



Here is a sample of some of the work made out of recycled drawers and a mix of my cast sculptures.

"Safety", 27"x20"x8", Drawer, wood, wheel, collage

"Gro", 25"x18"x7", Drawer, bronze, metal, silver composite, collage, scrabble pieces

"Dante's Cage", 20"x8"x4", Drawer, collage, gold composite


By the end of the evening we turned out the lights and enjoyed the glow.

No comments: